World Federation of United Nations Association
The World Federation of United Nations Associations is an independent, non-governmental organization with Category One Consultative Status at the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and consultative or liaison links with many other UN organizations and agencies.
Inspired by the opening words of the United Nations Charter “We the Peoples of the United Nations”, the World Federation was created in Luxembourg 1946 – one year after the establishment of the United Nations. Ever since, WFUNA has been the only global NGO that exists to support the United Nations family. The mission of the WFUNA is to inform, sustain and energize a global network of United Nations Associations to support the principles and programs of the United Nations and to help shape its agenda.
Over the years, WFUNA has become a global network of hundreds of thousands of people linked together through United Nations Associations in over 100 member states of the UN. United Nations Associations have a unique role to play at the national level in disseminating information and educational materials about the UN, Lobbying the government, political parties and interest groups in support of the UN, conducting Model UN conferences, stimulating the media to provide frequent and accurate coverage of the UN and its programs and collaborating with other voluntary organizations on projects related to the work of the UN.
The UN General Assembly has adopted resolutions expressing appreciation for the Federations’ efforts to promote wider public support of the UN. In 1986 resolution 41/68 concerning questions relating to information dedicated an entire section to commending the efforts of WFUNA and UNAs around the world for their 'mobilization popular support for the programs and work of the United Nations'.
The main goals of the Constitution adopted in 1946 included to promote tolerance, understanding, solidarity and co-operation among women, men and children throughout the world without distinction as to race, sex, language, religion, or political orientation. Further objectives of the WFUNA are:
- To be a peoples’ movement for the United Nations · To co-ordinate and further the activities of its Members and to promote the establishment of new United Nations Associations
- To co-operate, where appropriate, with other organizations whose objects include the support of the United Nations and it’s development
- To contribute to the removal of obstacles to peace, to work for justice, security and disarmament, and to promote the development of peaceful co-existence and co-operation among nations
- To strive for the recognition of and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms throughout the world and for the recognition of the responsibilities and duties which those rights involve for individuals, groups, and States
- To promote economic development, enhancement of social progress and better standards of life
- To promote research, information and education about the goals of the Charter of the United Nations and the work of the United Nations system