Disability-inclusive employment strategies supporting the eradication of poverty
Time: Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 10.00 – 11.30 am
Venue: UNHQ, Conference Room E
Captioning and American Sign Language will be provided
The importance of employment to empower persons with disabilities and its potential to contribute to reducing poverty is clear, thus this year’s Conference of States Parties should also be used to highlight successful strategies in achieving the goal of this years High-Level Political Forum “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world”. In this Side Event, representatives from Government and Civil Society will present innovative policies and practices from all around the world that have successfully supported the integration of persons with disabilities in the open labor market.
Employment in the open labor market is in the heart of the UN CRPD as well as the SDGs: Employment is a key to Independent Living and many other Articles defined by the UN CRPD or the Goals of the SDG such as eradicating poverty. On the other hand for this Article to be implemented, and this goal to be achieved, employment strategies cannot be successful on its own but need support by inclusive and quality education, access to infrastructure and other fundamental UN CRPD-Articles and SDG-Goals. While many countries have started to take action, and at the same time DPOs and civil society, and some companies of the private sector have done the same, available data is not encouraging. In many countries in the world employment rates of persons with disabilities are still declining.
Opening: Amb. Jan Kickert, Permanent Representative of Austria
Moderator: Philipp Charwath, Chair of the 55th CSocD, DPR of Austria
- Martin Essl, Founder of the Essl Foundation Current solutions and strategies researched by the Zero Project
- Chapal Khasnabis, Global Cooperation on Assistive Technology (GATE) Assistive technology a tool to eradicate poverty and facilitate employment
- Amb. Masud Bin Momen, Permanent Mission of Bangladesh: Strategies to support self-employment and microfinancing
- Michal Rimon, Access Israel, Israel: Strategies based on mandatory Standards for employers in the Public and Private Sector
- Xavier Torres, Ecuador, President of the National Council on Disabilities Strategies based on All-Sector-Cooperations