European consular protection

If you find yourself in an emergency situation in a country outside of the European Union where Austrian does not have a local consular or diplomatic representation, you can seek the support and consular protection of another Member State of the European Union (Consular protection of EU citizens) under the same conditions as their own citizens:

  • Issue of a European Travel Document to replace your passport upon loss or theft, enabling repatriation
  • Assistance in organising funds in emergency situations
  • Informing relatives in case of accidents or death
  • The provision of non-binding contact details for doctors, hospitals, lawyers and translators
  • Assistance in arranging for the repatriation transport of sick, injured and deceased Austrians
  • In case of imprisonment, passing on of information to the Austrian authorities if so requested by the detainee and – if possible – visits to inmates in  prison

In the following states and regions Austrian citizens may also contact the Swiss representations for consular support in case of emergencies abroad.