Criminal Record Information

Criminal record related information is provided by the Federal Police Headquarters (in cities), and/or the police departments (in Vienna) or the mayor (in smaller cities and villages.

Austrian citizens who reside abroad or non-Austrian citizens who require an Austrian criminal record certificate, may obtain this document from the local Austrian representation authority (embassy, consulate general). To this end, the applicant must appear in person at least once before the competent authority – either when applying for or collecting the criminal record certificate. Online applications using the Bürgerkarte (citizen card) are also possible.

For more detailed information on competent authorities, required documents and fees as well as the online application form, please refer to