Residence Permit

If you intend to stay in Austria for a period exceeding 6 months you must apply for a residence permit first and not for an entry permit (visa). If you want to work in Austria, you will additionally have to apply for a working permit. Residence permits are issued by the authorities in Austria and are solely issued for stays exceeding six months.

Please note 
You must submit your application for a residence permit at the Austrian Embassy before you actually leave for Austria. In general, you are not allowed to go to Austria as long as your application has not been approved.

A fee of € 80 for adults and € 50 for minors is payable in RAND at the time of submitting the application at the Embassy. The residence permit, once issued, has to be collected from the issuing authority in Austria. For this a Visa D (in most cases) is required in order to be able to enter Austria.
An additional visa fee of € 100 in RAND has to be paid (certain exceptions apply) on application of the Visa D.

In addition, (almost) all non-EU or non-EFTA citizens who both apply for a residence permit and plan to stay in Austria for more than 24 months must sign an Integration Agreement.

Further Information, application forms and the legal framework may be found on the homepage of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Interior.

Application procedure

  • If the applicant is a minor, the application must be signed by both parents or legal guardians.
  • Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
  • All applicants need to appear in person.
  • There is no legal claim on obtaining the residence permit applied for.
  • Please allow a 3 months processing period, as all applications need to be forwarded to Austria for processing.
  • To avoid unnecessary queuing and to provide a fast and more efficient submission, the Embassy has introduced an Online Reservation Booking Service - Link  "On the subject". Applications without appointment will not be accepted.

Please note that all foreign (non-Austrian) public documents (eg. South African birth or marriage certificates) have to be legalised of by means of an Apostille Certificate or diplomatic legalisation (for countries which do not issue a Haager Apostille). For further Information see Link  "On the subject".

You are advised to contact the relevant local authority in Austria regarding your specific document criteria, prior to your application. Further documentation can be requested on a case-to-case basis.