Studying in Austria

Mainbuilding of the Old University Vienna

Are you interested in studying in Austria?

As an educational destination, Austria offers

  • accredited, internationally oriented universities, colleges and educational institutions
  • various programmes taught in English
  • practice‐oriented programmes as well as international research networks
  • excellence in teaching & research
  • social peace & a unique quality of life
  • rich culture & intercultural openness
  • generous hospitality and an overwhelming landscape

For detailed information on studying in Austria please check the related Homepages.

Books, Learning, Study, Education, Knowledge, stacked

General Information about studying in Austria you can find in the Information Flyer.

Based on the Agreement between the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD-GmbH) and the Directorate General of Higher Education of the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia (DIKTI) the OeAD and DIKTI as the grant awarding authorities are proud to announce new scholarships for Indonesian students at Austrian universities.

An information brochure of the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research about entry and residence requirements for foreign students wishing to study in Austria is available at the Download Section to the right.

Students coming from countries which are not EU/EEA members need to apply for a Visa Type D if they want to stay less than 6 months or for a residence permit if their intended stay exceeds 6 months.

As a matter of principle, first applications for a residence title or visa shall be filed abroad and in person at the Austrian Embassy, before entering Austria. Once having submitted the application for your Residence Permit, the general processing period is three up to six months until you will get a decision from the Austrian authority. Do take that into consideration in your planning!

You can find detailed informationabout studying and doing research in Austria and for applying for a Visa or a Residence Permit on the website of the Austrian Agency for International Mobility and Cooperation in Education, Science and Research (OeAD) - please check the Quicklinks.

The website and the guides provide checklists for the application for Visa or Residence Permits; you can also find all necessary links to application forms, explanation of the application forms in English and contact details of universities and Austrian authorities.

The Federal Government‘s official information website on migration to Austria provides additional information - please check the Quicklinks.

In case of further questions, contact the Austrian Embassy.

Attention: Students who are not permitted to enter Austria without a visa have to submit their application for a residence permit “Student” in person at the competent Austrian representative authority abroad before travelling to Austria. The application will be forwarded by the representative authority to the Austrian authority in charge of residence. Since the decision of the authority in charge of residence is to be awaited in your home country it is recommended to submit your application at least 3 months before the planned trip to Austria.

If the residence permit is granted, the applicant will be notified by the representative authority. The applicant then has to apply for a visa D (or D+C) for travelling to Austria at the representative authority within 3 months after receiving the notification. The visa is free of charge. The residence permit has to be collected in Austria within 6 months of the notification by the representative authority, in any case within the validity period of the visa.