Intra-Community movement of pet dogs, cats and ferrets


These conditions apply to the Member states of the European Community and the EEC:

Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, United Kingdom, Cyprus.

Member states with additional requirements

Dogs, cats and ferrets may enter the territory of Ireland, Malta, Sweden or the United Kingdom only if the following additional requirements are fulfilled:

  • A statement has to be entered into the passport (or - in accordance with the transitional regulations - the hitherto valid certificates, available form Austrian official veterinarians) certifying a neutralising antibody titration at least equal to 0,5 IU/ml carried out in an approved laboratory on a sample; this antibody titration need not be repeated on an animal which, following that titration, has been regularly revaccinated at the intervals required by the manufacturing laboratory.
  • Additional requirements regarding treatment against ticks and tape-worm you find here.
    A treatment against tape-worm is also required for the entry into Norway and Finland.

Pet animals

Pet animals are defined as dogs, cats, ferrets, invertebrates (except bees and crustaceans), ornamental tropical fish, amphibia, reptiles, birds (except poultry) as well as rodents and domestic rabbits which are accompanying their owners or a natural person responsible for such animals on behalf of the owner during their movement and are not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner. With the exception of dogs, cats and ferrets, no certificates have been laid down so far.

Dogs, cats, ferrets

Dogs, cats and ferrets meeting the necessary requirements may move between EU Member states if they are accompanied by an EU pet passport  issued by a veterinarian. All these countries recognise this document.


Each animal has to be identified by either a clearly readable tattoo or a microchip.


Each animal has to be accompanied by a passport issued by a veterinarian authorised by the competent authority certifying valid anti-rabies vaccination, or revaccination if applicable, in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturing laboratory, carried out the animal in question with an inactivated vaccine of at least one antigenic unit per dose (WHO standard).

Dog registration

As a dog owner (living in Austria) you have to register your dog(s) with the responsible authority and pay dog licence(s). You will receive a dog tag, which must be visibly attached to the dog's collar.

The responsible authorities are:

in cities with federal police: Magistrat
in cities without federal police: municipal office
in Vienna: city treasury