Residence Permit

If you intend to stay in Austria for a period longer than 6 months, you must apply for a residence permit and not for an entry permit (visa). Residence permits are issued by the authorities in Austria and not by the embassy. They are solely issued for stays that exceed six months.

PLEASE NOTE that you must file your application for a residence permit with the Austrian Embassy before you actually leave for Austria. In general, you are not allowed to go to Austria as long as your application has not been approved. Yet, spouses and minor children of EU & EFTA citizens who reside in Austria permanently may file their application after their arrival in Austria. The same is true for all foreign nationals who may enter Austria under the visa waiver-program (e.g. citizens of Australia or New Zealand).

PLEASE NOTE that visa-free travel under the visa-waiver program is limited to 3 months out of any 6 months within the entire Schengen territory! To avoid having to leave Austria because a residence permit is not completed within the visa-free period (90 days), we recommend applying for a residence permit before leaving for Austria.

The residence permit, once issued, is to be picked up at the issuing authority in Austria. Part of the fee is payable at the time of the application and part of the fee at the time of the pick-up in Austria. In addition, (almost) all non-EU or non-EFTA citizens who both apply for a residence permit and intend to stay in Austria for more than 24 months must sign an Integration Agreement.

As to the different types of residence permits in Austria please consult the Federal Government‘s official information website on migration to Austria.

Application procedure:

  • The Austrian Embassy will accept only complete applications.
  • Applications must be submitted in person (no exceptions).
  • Please note that there is no legal claim on obtaining the residency permit applied for.
  • If the applicant is a minor, the application must be signed by both parents or legal guardians. These signatures must be notarized by a notary public.

The following documents (if applicable) must be submitted:

  • valid and signed passport (passport must be valid for at least three months beyond date of return)
  • copies of previous passports
  • Part of the consular fee must be paid at the time of your application and part of the fee has to be paid at the time of the pick up in Austria
  • respective application form - completed and signed (please access the respective application forms)
  • one recent picture (passport format, color, front view)
  • original or notarized copy of birth certificate including apostille
  • original Certificate of Good Conduct/Criminal Record with apostille (not older than three months)
  • proof of visa status in Australia (not applicable for citizens of Australia and New Zealand)
  • proof of health/travel/accident insurance (original letter from insurance company confirming coverage in Austria)
  • proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, letter of grants, bank statement of last two months [parent's account accepted for students only], other proof of income)
  • proof of lodging in Austria (e.g. lease contract, ownership papers)
  • Statement of Financial Liability (Haftungserklärung; available only in German) if stay in Austria is sponsored by someone residing in Austria (does not apply to au-pair applicants)

Please note: All foreign documents can only be accepted with an Apostille and with German translation.

In addition to the above documents, the following items must be submitted, too:

  • employee: work permit (issued by the Austrian Employment Service AMS), statement of salary or income, confirmation letter issued by employer
  • self-employed: last income tax statement, contract letter, business plan, letter of agreement, etc.
  • family reasons/reunion: marriage certificate, divorce certificate, death certificate, certificate giving evidence of relationship to another individual;
  • students: original letter of admission to Austrian school or university/college
  • au-pair: au-pair contract (signed by both au pair and host family), letter of certification (issued by the Austrian Emplyment Service AMS)