A Schengen visa can be issued up to a maximum of 90 days' residence within a period of 180 days and entitles the holder to enter and reside in the territory of the Schengen States. A Schengen visa cannot be extended.

Schengen States are the European Union (EU) members Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary as well as non-EU members Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Holders of Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR passports as well as holders of a BNO (British National Overseas) and British Overseas Citizens (British Overseas Passports) passport, as well as British Overseas Territories Citizens, British Protected Persons and British Subjects do not need a Schengen visa! The validity of the passport must be at least 3 months counting from the date of anticipated return to Hong Kong.

The Austrian Consulate General will only deal with visa applications from persons with residence in Hong Kong or Macau if Austria is their main destination or if the planned stay in Austria and another Schengen state has the same duration and if Austria is the country of first entry. People who stay in Hong Kong or Macau for a short time and who do not have Hong Kong / Macau residence visas or a Hong Kong / Macao ID card can not apply for a visa at the Austrian Consulate General in Hong Kong. They should contact directly the Austrian representative responsible for their main domicile in their country. The Consul General will be happy to assist you in identifying the responsible authority.

The Austrian Consul General also represents Malta in issuing Schengen visa and deals with Schengen visa applications when Malta is the main destination or country of first entry. However, applications for national visas and residence permits for Malta can not be accepted. We recommend that you contact the Embassy of the Republic of Malta in Beijing.

General requirements

  1. application form
  2. two photos according to ICAO-criteria (color, 35x45 mm)
  3. passport (at least 2 empty pages, not older than 10 years, validity is at least three months longer than the requested visa)
  4. copy of the passport (the page on which with photo and details)
  5. residence permit for Hong Kong and Macau respectively (validity of at least 3 months after the journey to Austria)
  6. acceptance of biometric data (10 fingerprints) from persons with age or older than 12 years.
  7.  if applicable: copy of previous Schengen visa(s)
  8. reservation for roundtrip ticket (from / to Hong Kong or Macau, confirmed round trip, one-way flight tickets not acceptable)
  9. travel, health and accident insurance (with a minimum coverage of € 30,000 and a return guarantee) for the entire Schengen area
  10. for students: proof of study / university
  11. for retiree: proof of pension rights
  12. consular fees of € 60 (payable in cash HK$ and upon application)


additional supporting documents to be submitted depending on the purpose of travel:

for touristic purposes:

  1. proof of accommodation: for the whole duration of the intended stay. Travel itinerary, providing clear evidence of the applicant’s travel plans (transportation booking, itinerary, etc.).
  2. proof of solvency (for example, bank statements for the last three months or another proof of regular income: a letter from the employer stating the name of the employer, the name of the employee, his/her job title, annual salary, date of employment and if relevant, the duration of his/her contract. If the letter of employment is not available it can be substituted by other proof of regular income, for example, a letter from the university in question for students getting a scholarship or proof of pension/insurance/rent payments).

people travelling to visit family/friends:

  1. Proof of economic, family and social roots of the applicant in the home country
  2. written invitation respectively
  3. in case the applicant does not have enough sufficient funds for herself / himself: 8 digit ID number of the electronic declaration of commitment. (explanation: the electronic declaration of commitment is to be signed by the host at the police authority of the host's residence.)

for business purposes:

  1. invitation letter by the company with full address, signature, company stamp and the contact person. The letter should include the invitee's name, position, date / duration and purpose of the visit.
  2. employment confirmation by the employer: name und position of the applicant, start of employment and income. The work confirmation must be signed by a authorized person of the company and have the company stamp.


In addition, depending on the professional and / or personal situation of the prospective applicant, further documents may be asked for.

The application must be made in person (fingerprints!), not earlier than 3 months and not later than 3 weeks before the planned date of departure.

Working Holiday Programme

Austria has concluded an agreement with Hong Kong regarding a "Working Holiday Programme" to allow young people in the context of a cultural or tourist trip  to enter into a limited working relationship and also use education facilities in the respective country.

Applies only for passport holders issued by Hong Kong SAR.


  • between 18 - 30

Duration of stay:

  • up to 12 months (not allowed to work for more than six months; cumulative duration of study courses not more than six months)


  • The national visa application can be submitted at the Austrian Consulate General in Hong Kong


  • € 100 (for a stay of more than 90 days; Visa D – WHP)

Qualifying requirements:

  • completed visa application form
  • 2 biometric passport picturer (according to ICAO regulations) valid passport of Hongkong (valid for at least three months after the last day of validity of the applied visa)
  • sufficient medical and travel insurance for the entire period of the stay (minimum cover € 30,000)
  • sufficient and reasonable financial resources to cover expenses incurred at the beginning of the stay
  • proof of reservation for a roundtrip ticket