Youth Exchange Programs
There are three programs for (young) Canadians/Austrians who want to temporarily work in Austria/Canada:
- Intra- and Partner Company Training Program
- Young Workers Exchange Program
- Student Work Abroad Programme (SWAP)
Canada grants Austria 50 slots yearly for each of these programs. Austria guarantees the same quota for Canadians without limiting itself to it, though.
Please note that Canadians do need a residence permit to go to and work in Austria. Please visit our pages on entry and residence permits for further information.
A) Intra- and Partner Company Training Program
This program seeks to support Canadian and Austrian firms in developing business links between the two countries by facilitating intra- and partner-company training. Canadian and Austrian workers can travel to each other's country to receive or provide training. Licences valid for four months or certificates valid for up to 36 weeks are issued.
- Canadian or Austrian citizen between the age of 18 and 30 (35)
- no criminal record
- sufficient financial means for flight ticket and stay in Austria or Canada
B) Young Workers Exchange Program
This program allows exchanges of young Canadian and Austrian workers so that they can obtain practical experience necessary for professional training in tourism, agriculture and forestry. Stay not to exceed six months.
- Canadian/Austrian citizen residing in Canada/Austria, between 18 and 30 (35) years of age
- no criminal record, no accompanying dependants
- graduate of recognized university or holder of a post-secondary diploma in the fields of tourism, agriculture or foresty
- sufficient financial means for flight ticket and stay in Austria/Canada
C) Student Work Abroad Programme (SWAP)
This Student Work Abroad Program gives you the opportunity to live and work in Austria/Canada for up to six (in some instances twelve) months. SWAP does not offer you a job (nor does the embassy), but you will be given information on and lists of potential employers. Remember: To actually find an employer is your task.
- Canadian/Austrian citizens between the age of 18 and 30
- Full-time post-secondary students and/or recent graduates
- no criminal record
- return ticket and financial means for stay in Austria/Canada
- working knowledge of German (for Canadians; exception: pre-arranged job) / English or French (Austrians)
D) Further information
Additional information on exchange opportunities and available scholarships is available on the website of Foreign Affairs Canada and on the website of the Austrian Exchange Service ÖAD.
Students and recent graduates may also turn to the "International Association for Students of Economics and Commerce" (AIESEC) and the "International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience" (IAESTE).
Information about the EU-Canada programme on co-operation in higher education, training and youth can be found on the website of the European Commission.
See the links below for information on
- visa and residence requirements and
- cooperation in the fields of education, science and research