Children born in wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship automatically when born on or after 1st of September 1983 if one parent is Austrian citizen at the time of the child's birth.
Citizenship certificate (= Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis):
If your main residence is in the UK you can apply for a citizenship certificate at the Austrian Embassy London.
All applicants including children must be present at the Embassy when applying for a citizenship certificate.
The following original documents are required:
- filled in application form and Affidavit (see below)
- passport or ID card (no driving licence)
- birth certificate (British certificates long version)
- if applicable: marriage certificate(s)
- if applicable: divorce paper(s)
Additional documents for children:
- passports of both parents (first application)
- citizenship certificate of Austrian parent (first application) or child
- if applicable: marriage certificate(s) of parents
- if applicable: proof of custody
Fee in cash GBP 40,50 (month January 2017).
(The first application for children younger than 2 years is free of charge.)
Please contact the Austrian Embassy London for further details by e-mail: london-ob(a)bmeia.gv.at.