Loss of cash

If you are in a financial emergency situation as a result of the loss or theft of your monetary assets, the situation can be remedied using bank and postal transfers or transfers through Western Union. If this is not possible for some reason, a deposit can be made with the Austrian Foreign Ministry in Vienna by making a transfer from

1. your own Austrian bank account or from
2. the bank accounts of friends, relatives and employers, with the Austrian representation establishing the necessary contacts.

This service provided by the Austrian Foreign Ministry is for emergencies only and may not under any circumstances be used to organise financial means to prolong vacations, for the continuation of journeys, for shopping etc.

If you are not able to organise financial means by making a deposit, the Austrian representation may grant a repatriation loan. This loan for low-cost return travel to Austria is granted against the beneficiaries’ repayment obligation in cases where Austrians find themselves in difficulties through no fault of their own. Such a loan against later repayment is, however, only granted to individuals who are registered in a legally valid manner with the registration authorities in Austria.

The theft of traveller’s cheques must be reported to the local police authorities. It is also important that you immediately report the loss of traveller’s cheques to your bank in Austria in order to have your account blocked. Upon loss or theft of credit cards (Mastercard, Visa, Diners Club, American Express etc.) contact your respective credit card company or your Austrian bank and file a report with the police.