Civil Status & Family

Family, man, woman, child

Civil status documents, identity cards, and certificates accompany citizens literally from the cradle to the grave. Changes in civil status trigger reporting obligations to the relevant Austrian authorities, even when an Austrian citizen is living abroad. Outside Austria, documents can be obtained and submitted via the appropriate diplomatic or consular offices. Depending on the type of document, different rules of jurisdiction, application procedures, and methods of application apply. Documents that are not written in German, often require a translation in order to be usable in Austrian legal situations. More detailed information about each document type can be found in the following chapters.