Which goods must be declared?


When going through customs control, you must declare the following goods; in other words, you must submit a customs declaration for:

• goods not intended for your personal use,

• goods obtained outside the EU which exceed the duty-free amounts for tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, perfumes, toilet waters, coffee, tea, medicinal products and the duty-free allowance for other goods.

• goods that are subject to bans or restrictions on imports.

If a customs office is equipped with Red and Green Channels, you must use the Red Channel when carrying such goods in order to submit your customs declaration. Take the initiative and declare these goods, whenever a customs office does not have any separate customs control exits. You may use the Green Channel whenever you do not carry any goods requiring any declaration.

In case of doubt, you should declare all goods. If any tax or customs exemptions apply, these will certainly be granted. When entering Austria from a non-EU country and carrying goods purchased in an EU country, you should keep the receipt ready, so as not to be asked to pay again customs duties or taxes.

Attention: In case you wish to take such goods with you to another EU country, you still need to declare them to customs when entering the EU.

Customs Information (pdf, 84.9 kb)

Customs Info 2011 (pdf, 269.16 kb)


Important Links:


• Federal Ministry of Finance

Ministry of Finance, Customs Information