Identity Papers and Other Documents

Documents, Paper, Writing

Documents indicating personal status and identity, as well as various other types of certificates, accompany a citizen from cradle to grave. Changes in personal status require these changes to be registered with the relevant Austrian authorities, even when a citizen is living abroad. Outside Austria, most documents can be obtained via the appropriate embassy or consulate; registrations can also be submitted at these diplomatic missions. Depending on the type of document there are different rules regarding the relevant authority, application modalities, and usage procedures. Documents that are not written in German frequently require a translation in order to be legally usable. Detailed information about individual document types can be found in the following chapters.