Mozart Choir of India
The Mozart Choir of India of the Austrian Cultural Forum New Delhi was founded in 2006 at the initiative of the Austrian Embassy, the artistic director and president of the Vienna Boys’ Choir, Mr. Gerald Wirth, and the late Indian sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar. It aims, on one hand, to provide Indian children with state-of-the art training in Western classical music and choral singing in a joyful, creative environment. On the other hand, the Choir shall promote the Western musical tradition among wider Indian audiences through regular public performances.
The Mozart of India includes 30-40 girls and boys aged 8 to 14 years who are trained by a team of high-qualified choir conductors. The study programme includes weekly choir rehearsals, workshops dedicated to specific topics and is complemented by fun activities such as Christmas and end-of-the-year parties and weekend music retreats. Of particular importance to the musical education of the children are regular public performances.
The Austrian Cultural Forum New Delhi is particularly proud to associate with the world-famous Vienna Boys Choir, whose artistic director Mr. Gerald Wirth, acts as a consultant to the Mozart Choir of India, including regular visits and work with the children in Delhi.
Recent highlights include:
- Christmas Concerts at the Christmas Choir Festival at Select City Walk New Delhi in December 2014
- Performance at the Austrian National Day with the Chamber Youth Orchestra of Salzburg in October 2014 Photos
- Peace Concerts with the Delhi Chamber Choir and choir of the German School New Delhi in October 2014
- Christmas Concerts with the Capital City Minstrels Choir and the Children's Choir of the German School New Delhi, December 2013. Event information, video of "Leise rieselt der Schnee", video of "Jingle Bells"
- Christmas Concert at the Residence of the Ambassador of Austria in December 2013. Photos
- Performance at the Austrian National Day together with the Ennsegg Chamber Orchestra, October 2013. Event photos
- Spring Concert with the Delhi Chamber Choir, India Habitat Centre, April 2013. Event information and photos
- Concert with Neemrana Music Foundation, Nehru Memorial Museum Auditorium, April 2012
- Christmas Gala performance in the presence of H.E.the President of India at Rashtrapati Bhavan, December 2011
- A concert tour through Austria supported by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations with a performance before the Federal President of Austria, Dr. Heinz FischerConcerts in the presence of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the Governor of Rajasthan and former Indian President Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil