The Ministry

Diplomatic relations between states can be traced back to antiquity. But is was not until the 15th century that Italian city states created permanent representations as one of the essential fundaments of modern diplomacy. At the Viennese Congress (1815) and by virtue of the Aachen Protocol (1818) a uniform classification of diplomats was established, which was confirmed by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961). In 1963 consular affairs too were regulated uniformly by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

The year 1720 is considered to be the origin of an independent Austrian diplomatic service, which was when Emperor Karl VI. assigned the administration of foreign relations to a separate minister. After the breakup of the monarchy foreign affairs were attended to by the Federal Chancellery. It was only in 1959 that a separate Ministry for Foreign Affairs was established.

As of 1 March 2007 the Ministry was renamed "Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs" which, as of 1 March 2014, changed to "Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs".

In this area you will be introduced to the organisation of the Austrian Foreign Ministry. Please note that organisational structure and staff search are only available in German.

Exterior view of the Austrian Foreign Ministry