Reinhold Lopatka - Curriculum Vitae
Reinhold Lopatka was born on 27 January 1960 in the Styrian town of Vorau. He studied law and theology at Karl-Franzens-University in Graz, where he earned his PhD in 1982, passing with distinction in all subjects (magna cum laude).
After finishing military service, he worked as an assistant professor (lecturer) at the Law Department of Karl-Franzens-University. From 1983 to 1991, he was chairman of the Styrian branch from 1984 to 1990, he was deputy chairman of the national branch of the youth wing of the Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP).
In September 1986, Lopatka was elected to the Styrian legislature assembly, reelected in 1991, 1995 and 2000. In November 2000, he was unanimously elected caucus chairman. From 2003 until 2007, he was a Member of Parliament and Secretary General of the Austrian People’s Party.
From 11 January 2007 to 2 December 2008, Reinhold Lopatka held the position of a State Secretary of Sport within the Federal Chancellery. He was chairman of the organising committee of the European Football Championship (EURO 2008), which took place in Austria and Switzerland. From 2008 to 2011, he was State Secretary within the Federal Ministry of Finance. He was responsible for international financial institutions and customs matters. From April 2011 to 2012 he served as Member of Parliament. Since September 2012 he is State Secretary in the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.
Reinhold Lopatka has three sons and is a passionate marathon runner (more than 77 full marathons). In addition to other positions, he is since 2004 Vice-Chairman of the Styrian People´s Party and Vice-President of the Political Academy of the Austrian People's Party. He is also President of the Austrian-Australian Society and Vice-President of the Austrian Sports Federation for disabled and auditor of the European People’s party (EPP).
- 2011-2012: Head of “Network International Projects” and Member of Parliament and spokesman for European, international and foreign affairs of ÖVP
- 2008-2011: State Secretary in the Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance
- 2007- 2008: State Secretary for Sport at the Federal Chancellery
- 2003 - 2007: Member of Parliament and Secretary General of the Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP – Österreichische Volkspartei)
- 2000 – 2003: Leader of People’s Party parliamentary group in the Styrian legislative assembly
- 1993 – 2001: Secretary General of Styrian People’s Party
- 1986 – 2003: Member of Styrian Parliament
- 1982 – 1986: Assistant Professor of Law, Department of Law, University of Graz (Styria)
- 1978 – 1982: Studies of Law and Theology, University of Graz, graduated from the Faculty of Law as LL.D. (Doctor of Laws)