Study in Austria
Interested in studying in Austria?
Would you like to study at an Austrian university and live the life of an Austrian student? Then please consider the following steps necessary for studying in Austria:
- For studying in Austria you will need a high school leaving certificate that is equivalent to the Austrian Matura and is recognized as such by Austrian universities.
- If you do fulfill the general requirements laid out by Austrian universities then you may begin enrollment. Please note that some Austrian universities require a formal admissions procedure while others do not, therefore you will have to directly contact the university of your choice in time to not miss any deadlines. (Foreign students educated outside the EU usually have to undergo lengthier procedures when applying)
In Austria there are three types of higher education institutions: public universities, private universities and so called Fachhochschulen (universities of applied science).
For more information on studying in Austria and the academic programs offered by each of universities please consult the links below.
- Before applying for a student visa at the Austrian Embassy Riyadh, you will need to obtain a written acceptance letter (Studienplatzbewilligung) from an Austrian university. No visa can be issued without this written acceptance letter and incomplete applications will be rejected immediately!
Please allow six (6) months for approval of the student visa!
- Public Universities in Austria
- Private Universities in Austria
- Universities of Applied Science (Fachhochschulen) in Austria
- Index of all academic programs offered in Austria (in German)
- Austrian Federal Ministry for Science and Research
- The OeAD (Austrian agency for international mobility and cooperation in education, science and research)
The Guide to Entry and Residence Requirements for Foreign Students offers very detailed information on studying in Austria.
Application requirements for a student visa:
Applications have to be made in person at the Austrian Embassy Riyadh at least SIX (6) MONTHS before travelling to Austria.
- Valid passport
- Birth certificate
- Recent passport-sized photograph (size between 3.5 x 4.5 cm and 4 x 5 cm - www.passbildkriterien.at)
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Confirmation of admission (Studienplatzbewilligung) of the Austrian educational institution
- Proof of sufficient financial means to cover the living costs for the duration of the stay
- Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. rental agreement, accommodation agreement with a student hall of residence, confirmation of accommodation.
- A (travel) health insurance covering costs for treatment in Austria of at least €30.000
- The fee for the student visa has to be paid in cash in Saudi Riyal, additional fees might occur.
Foreign (non-Austrian) documents have to be submitted with a German translation legalized by the Saudi Foreign Ministry. Please enclose a photocopy of each original document.
Are you looking for a scholarship or research grant?
grants.at is Austria's most comprehensive database for scholarships and research grants in German and English language.
Please note that applications for scholarships and grants have to be submitted online at www.scholarships.at.
Learn German in Austria
With its mountainous scenery, vibrant cities and an exceptional standard of living in the heart of Europe, Austria is the ideal place to learn German.
Campus-Austria offers advice on language learning opportunities in Austria and has an easily accessible database of the various institutes in Austria.
The Summer Course of the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna offers excellent German classes for learners of all levels. During classes students also have the opportunity to learn about Austrian politics, history, society and culture.
For more informatin on Austrian Student Visas: