How to Apply for a Visa
Visa applications and residence permits can only be submitted by appointment.
Appointments for visa applications and residence permits can be booked free of charge online.
The capacity of appointments is limited.
The Embassy recommends to book an appointment at least one month prior to your intended travel.
Applications from non-Irish residents will not be accepted!
If you are a resident of Northern Ireland please contact the Visa Section.
Visa applications can be made in person only.
THE ORIGINALS AND A SET OF COPY of all required documents have to be presented to the visa officer.
Following documentation is required:
- Application form filled in accurately (please be aware, that in case you do not have your application form ready, the visa officer cannot accept your application and you've to book a new appointment)
- Passport or travel document valid for at least three months after the expiry date of the required visa with at least two blank visa pages.
- 2 passport-size photos according to ICAO standards not older than 3 months
If the photos are not up to standad they will be rejected.
- Irish re-entry visa valid for at least 3 months after the expiry date of the visa applied for.
- Irish certificate of Registration (GNIB card) valid for at least 3 months after the expiry date of the visa applied for.
- Proof of sufficient financial means (recent bank statement - including your name on it -of the last 3 months and not older than 2 weeks ) or for Austria a guarantee letter from your host (EVE)
- Letter from your employer
- payslips (last 3 months including your name on it)
- Letter from your university/school
- Proof of accomodation: Upon application: CONFIRMED hotel/hostel/B&B reservation(s)covering your entire stay in the Schengen Area. Upon collection: CONFIRMATION of full payment or credit card guarantee.
- If you are staying with a private host you have to present a copy of the proof of address from your host (for Austria "Meldezettel" for Switzerland "Wohnsitzbescheinigung") and a copy of his/her passport.
- All-risk medical Insurance of at least 30.000€ coverage, valid for your entire stay or longer.
TICKET: A confirmed non refundable return ticket has to be presented upon collection of your visa.
VISA APPLICATION FEE: € 60 in CASH!!!
The visa fee will not be reimbursed in case of refusal.
Documents missig may cause inadmissibility of the application or delay the application process.
- Due to a bilateral agreement the visa application fee for applicants of the following countries amount to € 35: Russian Federation, Ukraine, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Moldova
Visa application for minors under the age of 6 years is free of charge, from
6 to 12 years € 35
If you like to receive your passport by mail, please submit a registered envelope.
Spouse/Dependent of EU/EEA partner:
You WILL NOT NEED A VISA to visit Austria for a maximum of 90 days, if you are:
- A spouse, child or parent of an EU/EEA national (other than Irish national)
- holding a EUFam Stamp 4 on your Garda Card
- and if you are travelling together with the EU/EEA national
However, the Embassy advises to apply for a visa (in this case it is free of charge). If you travel without your EU spouse/child a visa fee applies!
Documentation of the relationship (original birth certificate of your child holding an EU citizenship or original marriage certificate, translated to English)
Original passport of the EU spouse or child
Please note: You will be still subject to border controll.
If you decide to travel without a visa, note that the airlines have their own regulations, boarding might be refused.
A VISA IS NEEDED if you are in the posessionof a "4 EU-Fam" card and travelling on your own OR if you are a family member to an IRISH national and therefore only in the posession of a "Stamp 4" card.
Business related trips/ Conferences
In addition to the standard requirements:
Original letter from your Austrian Business Partner
- or Generalverpflichtungserklärung (general declaration of business relationship)
- Letter from your employer in Ireland confirming your business trip or attendance of conference
- Regristration for the conference
- Selfemployed applicants need to present a Business Registration, Taxregristration and sufficient financial background of their company.
Social welfare receivers
If you are entitled to receive social welfare payments in Ireland the Embassy asks for
- a letter of confirmation by the respective social welfare office that says that the office is in knowledge of the intended trip.
Nationals from the following list of countries should allow 2 weeks for the processing of the application from the date receipt of ALL documents required!
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan (Service passports only), Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Moldova, Nigeria, North Korea, Palestine, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam (not for service and diplomatic passports), Yemen.
All holders of Travel Documents for stateless persons and refugees.
For all other nationals the processing time is approx. 6 working days from the date of receipt of ALL documents required!
Please note that the visa cannot be issued on the same day.