The Consulate General
Welcome to the homepage of the Austrian Consulate General in New York!
The area of jurisdiction of the Austrian Consulate General in New York includes the US-States Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont as well as the British Overseas Territory Bermuda.
Austrian Consulate General
31 East 69th Street
New York, NY 10021
Tel: +1 (212) 737 6400
Fax:+1 (212) 585 1992
Public hours: Mo - Fr 9:00 am - 12:00 noon, except public holidays
Detailed information on further Austrian diplomatic and consular representations, on Austrian foreign policy, as well as on services offered for Austrians living abroad can be found on the website of the Austrian Federal Ministry of European and International Affairs.
History of the building
East 69th Street between Madison and Park Avenue is lined with town houses that date to the beginning of the 20th century. The major redevelopment of this street occurred after 1910, when the New York Central railroad tracks on Park Avenue were completely covered over and a stretch of greenery created. Various old brownstone houses were bought up and either converted with new facades and interiors, or completely replaced with new buildings. The architectural style varies from neo-French classic to neo-Georgian. East 69th Street between Fifth and Lexington Avenue was designated by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1981 as part of the Upper East Side Historic District.
31 East 69th Street was built from 1917–18 by the renowned architect C. P. H. Gilbert (1861–1952) for the paper manufacturer and bank official Augustus G. Paine, Jr. (1866–1947). Gilbert built a number of houses in New York and the surrounding area, including the Harry F. Sinclair House on 79th Street and Fifth Avenue, the Joseph Raphael De Lamar House on Madison Avenue and 37th Street (today the Polish Consulate General) and the Felix M. Warburg House on Fifth Avenue and 92nd Street (today the Jewish Museum of New York City).
The Paine family sold their house after the death of Augustus G. Paine, Jr. The Austrian Consulate General is based in the house since 1952, after moving from a number of locations in the city.
The Consulate General acts as a meeting point between Austria and the United States. The library is also used as a board room for round-table discussion panels and the drawing room as a salon for festive receptions. If you are interested in more information, please click here.