GENERAL INFORMATION ON VISAS
Visa applications have to be lodged at the Austrian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Please find a list of Austrian representations here.
THE UNIFORM «SCHENGEN» VISA
- The uniform visa is a short stay visa (e.g. tourism, private visits or short business) for all Schengen countries (Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary).
- Third country nationals who want to travel to the Schengen countries for tourism, private visits or business can apply for short stay visas (one up to ninety days), which is valid for all Schengen countries. In very special cases visas with a longer validity (for stays up to 90 days every six months) can be issued (please refer to your competent embassy or consulate),
- The application itself does not automatically give the right to travel or to get a visa. Visas can only be issued if all necessary preconditions are met.
- Applicants have to present at least the documents mentioned below according to the type of visa applied for.
According to each individual case the competent embassy or consulate can ask for further documentation.
APPLICATIONS FOR SHORT STAY VISAS (TOURISM - PRIVATE VISITS - BUSINESS) SHOULD BE PRESENTED PERSONALLY. THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE PROVIDED:
- Application form (completely filled out and signed personally or in case of minors by the relevant legal guardian).
- A recent photo (according to ICAO standards)
- Passport (valid at least 3 months after the expiry of the visa with at least 2 empty pages, passport not older than 10 years)
- At selected embassies (please see your embassy website), biometric identifiers (10 fingerprints taken flat and collected digitally) of each applicant shall be collected
- proof of legal stay (if the application is not presented in the country of origin)
- Consular fees:
Short stay visa: € 60,-
Long stay visa: € 100,-
in EURO or local currency. For detailed information or exceptions please visit the website of the embassy or consulate concerned, read the information boards in front of the embassy or obtain the information by telephone.
- Travel medical insurance valid for the Schengen states for the intended stay proving that all risks are covered
(minimum coverage € 30.000,- in original + one copy)
- Means of transport (reservation of travel voucher or proof of private transport)
- Proof of income / documentation of paid activity (if applicable). For detailed information or exceptions please visit the website of the embassy or consulate concerned, read the information boards in front of the embassy or obtain the information by telephone.
- Proof of financial means or electronic letter of guarantee (Elektronische Verpflichtungserklärung - the person inviting the applicant should make a declaration of guarantee at the local office of the “Fremdenpolizei” ( alien’s police) which informs the competent embassy or consulate accordingly)
- Justification concerning the stay in Austria
An application based on a private invitation:
- Original invitation (unless an original electronic letter of guarantee was made at the alien’s police).
An application based on a business invitation:
- Official invitation letter (originals only unless an original electronic letter of guarantee was made at the alien’s police)
An application without invitation:
- Proof of accommodation
APPLICATIONS FOR LONG STAY VISAS:
(E.g. students, minors in school, marriage, paid activities or other) are under special administrative procedures depending on the purpose of stay.
For detailed information or exceptions please contact the website of the embassy or consulate concerned (and if not possible), the information boards in front of the embassy.
- The uniform visa does not allow paid activities or stays exceeding 3 months in Austria. Therefore please apply for Long stay visa up to 6 months (NOT extendable or renewable) or a residence permit.
- You are kindly asked to present your application at least three weeks before the intended travel.
- The consular fees have to be paid when lodging the application; they are not reimbursed in case of refusal.
- All points of the visa application form have to be filled out completely and correct.
- Documents missing may cause inadmissibility of the application or delay the application.